Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cauliflower here, cauliflower there....everywhere cauliflower for FREE!!!

Last Sunday Target came out with their new Super Target coupons. They have the $1 off fresh cauliflower, broccoli and celery again. This excludes organics. In this Sunday's Target ad here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa cauliflower and broccoli are .99cents!!! Can you say free!!! Yes you can!!!! BTW celery was 1.39!!!

I got five FREE heads of cauliflower on Sunday. You may wonder what I will do with FIVE heads of cauliflower. Yup...I am going to use it all....keep reading to see how I plan to preserve these FREE veggies.

I cut it up and steamed it in about 3 cups water in this big stock pot. I wanted to steam it rather than boil it to keep the nutrients. You do have to like the taste of cauliflower, which I do!!! You do have to tolerate the smell while it cooks, which I don’t mind but the family kept saying what is that smell??? 1 cup comes out to 1 point, 2 cups is 3 points if you are following weight watchers, which I am!!!! Nutrition per cup is 75 calories/2 fat/4 fiber.

After its tender, about 45 minutes steaming in the stock pot drain the water and mash it using a hand mixer. I will use this mashed cauliflower as faux mashed potatoes, also it makes good cheesy cauliflower soup. I have also make augrain cauliflower with sour cream and cheese. I have topped it on shepard's pie in place of mashed potatoes.


Mashed cauliflower also freezes very well and keeps good for several months.

3 comments:

AmyR said...

Hi there, nice to meet you! Thanks for this blog, I'll be checking it often. I'm a homeschooling mom of 3, and I'll be 40 next year (can't believe I typed that!) I have a huge amount of weight to lose, so maybe I'll learn something here!! Nice to meet you!!
Amy R.

JJ (Lady Di) said...

We also like to roast ours. And I'm not sure if your kids will like it, but a lot of Indian meals use it, our favorite being Aloo Gobi (Cauliflower and potatoes).

Anonymous said...

hello,
diets like weight watchers etc are not affordable to people like me....what do u suggest should be alternate way? I am extremely overwt only 26 yrs and in danger zone!

Help!